Executive Chef – Full Time
Executive Chef – Magnolia Hotel
The Magnolia Omaha, formerly the Aquila Court Building, built in 1923, the structure was designed to mimic the Bargello, a palace in Florence, Italy. Named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, the faces of George and Aquila Cook can still be seen on the front of the boutique hotel’s building today. Here, guests discover the inviting warmth of pure hospitality in the center of downtown Omaha. The Magnolia Omaha is a destination at the heart of the arts and entertainment district. Visit us at www.magnoliahotels.com/omaha.
The Magnolia career experience is a partnership of your talents, skills and personality with our resources, service success and professional standards. Our facilities exhibit the beauty of historic preservation furnished with modern styling. We are not a collection of workers in a mass of square footage. We are entrepreneurs in a unique environment of our own creation. We are committed to service to our guests, employees and community. Every employee in the Hotel will touch success. We are diverse in opinion, culture and life experiences.
The duties and responsibilities of the Executive Chef include but are not limited to:
- Apply thorough knowledge of food preparation and presentation including food quality, portion control and product cost.
- Ordering, storage and inventory of all food and kitchen operating supplies and maintain food costs at planned level.
- Make recommendations for Hotel kitchen equipment purchases.
- Develop, institute and maintain a training program for all kitchen positions.
- Assist the Food & Beverage Director in the creating menus for the Lounge, Special Events and In-Room Dining. Conduct reviews of menus including sales, guest comments and seasonal selections.
- Work with food suppliers, and vendors to conduct regular reviews of pricing forecasts, product availability, and product quality.
- Inspect perishable food products as delivered to ensure quality, and do not accept product of inferior quality.
- Conduct daily walk through inspections of all kitchen/culinary areas.
- Ensure use of first in, first out product rotation and thaw cycle.
- Assist with scheduled month end food inventories.
- Enforce strict ServeSafe food sanitation program for the Hotel kitchen, and train staff in ServeSafe food sanitation.
- Attend BEO meetings; keep open communications with Catering Sales personnel.
- Ensure that all maintenance requests are reported promptly and follow-up on requests.
- Responsible for Hotel kitchen loss control and risk management programs.
- Ensure that assigned staff is adhering to risk management procedures, including wearing personal protective equipment, MSDS location and comprehension, ergonomics, knife safety and slip and fall.
- Responsible for securing kitchen area particularly food storage areas, and maintain key control of kitchen area.
- Respond to guest/client concerns as necessary.
- Be a Hotel standard bearer for professionalism, appearance, service, and success to the Hotel staff.
- Conduct all other duties, responsibilities, actions and activities that are inherent in an Executive Chef position.
- Other duties as assigned by the Food & Beverage Director or General Manager.
The desired qualifications of the Executive Chef position include but are not limited to:
- Four years Executive Chef or Sous Chef experience in a full service restaurant and/or high volume banquet, production, or catering operation.
- Ability to train kitchen positions in all areas of operation, from food preparation/presentation to prep work to entry level kitchen positions; with a goal of advancing staff within the kitchen.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills particularly in regards to training employees.
- Experience in menu development, and inventory/cost controls.
- Associates or Bachelor degree from an accredited Culinary Academy or Institute.
- Possess certification or be able to pass ServeSafe food sanitation course and train staff on the program.
- Ability to quickly assess productivity levels of the cook line, dish area and pantry personnel during any given preparation/plating/serving period.
- Experience using inventory or menu costing software.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards, and correct them immediately.
The Executive Chef position is classified as a salaried exempt position.
The Magnolia Omaha offers the following benefits to full time employees:
- Complimentary On-Site parking
- Metro Bus Pass
- Medical, Dental Vision benefits after 30 days of employment
- Complimentary shift meal
- Employee and Friends & Family discounts at all Magnolia Hotels
- Paid vacation and holidays including employee birthday
- Shoes for Crews
- Charitable Donation Match
- Education assistance
- “Kitz for Kidz” School Supply program