Executive Chef | FT – Magnolia Hotel (Houston, TX)
MAGNOLIA HOTELS | Magnolia Houston, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, was originally the home of the Houston Post Dispatch newspaper and later the corporate office for Shell Oil Company. After extensive renovations, this 1926 historic landmark is now one of Houston’s most distinct properties. Located in the heart of downtown Houston, discover a destination dedicated to pure hospitality.
TRIBUTE PORTFOLIO BY MARRIOTT | Personality defines us. Character unites us. Tribute Portfolio is designed for travelers seeking fresh travel experiences that reflect their own unique individual point of view. With a focus on expressive design moments, vibrant public spaces, and a flexible food and beverage model, Tribute Portfolio is for full-service developers keen on creating spaces that connect people and places. Drawn together by their sense of character, diverse experiences and robust personality, Tribute Portfolio hotels are a magnet for the colorful and quirky, much like the travelers who choose to stay at them.
The duties and responsibilities of the Executive Chef include, but are not limited to:
- Apply thorough knowledge of food preparation and presentation including food quality, portion control and product cost.
- Ordering, storage and inventory of all food and kitchen operating supplies and maintain food costs at planned level.
- Make recommendations for Hotel kitchen equipment purchases.
- Develop, institute, and maintain a training program for all kitchen positions.
- Assist the Director of Ops in the creating menus for the Lounge, Special Events, and In-Room Dining. Conduct reviews of menus including sales, guest comments and seasonal selections.
- Work with food suppliers, and vendors to conduct regular reviews of pricing forecasts, product availability, and product quality.
- Inspect perishable food products as delivered to ensure quality, and do not accept product of inferior quality.
- Conduct daily walkthrough inspections of all kitchen/culinary areas.
- Ensure use of first in, first out product rotation and thaw cycle.
- Assist with scheduled month end food inventories.
- Enforce strict Serve Safe food sanitation program for the Hotel kitchen, and train staff in Serve Safe food sanitation.
- Attend BEO meetings; keep open communications with Catering Sales personnel.
- Ensure that all maintenance requests are reported promptly and follow-up on requests.
- Responsible for Hotel kitchen loss control and risk management programs.
- Ensure that assigned staff is adhering to risk management procedures, including wearing personal protective equipment, MSDS location and comprehension, ergonomics, knife safety and slip and fall.
- Responsible for securing kitchen area particularly food storage areas and maintain key control of kitchen area.
- Respond to guest/client concerns as necessary.
- Be a Hotel standard bearer for professionalism, appearance, service, and success to the Hotel staff.
- Conduct all other duties, responsibilities, actions, and activities that are inherent in an Executive Chef position.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Ops or General Manager.
The desired qualifications of the Executive Chef position include, but are not limited to:
- Four years Executive Chef or Sous Chef experience in a full-service restaurant and/or high-volume banquet, production, or catering operation.
- Ability to train kitchen positions in all areas of operation, from food preparation/presentation to prep work to entry level kitchen positions; with a goal of advancing staff within the kitchen.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills particularly in regard to training employees.
- Experience in menu development, and inventory/cost controls.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree from an accredited Culinary Academy or Institute.
- Possess certification or be able to pass Serve Safe food sanitation course and train staff on the program.
- Ability to quickly assess productivity levels of the cook line, dish area and pantry personnel during any given preparation/plating/serving period.
- Experience using inventory or menu costing software.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and correct them immediately.
- Ability to stand for long periods at a time, walk, bend, reach over-head, squat and kneel at times.
- Move, lift, carry and push items weighing up to 50lbs without assistance.
This is a full time position. Full time Magnolia Houston employees will enjoy a great benefits package, as well as access to Marriott Explore employee discount program for self, family, and friends.
Applicants should email resumes to email@example.com.